Thursday, May 4, 2023

Untitled IV

 Untitled IV 

‘How can I show

my punk side at work?’

was a question posed

in a feminine punk space recently.

Shoulder tattoos of band logos

peaking out from under

a sleeveless dress,

my band-logoed pick necklace

standing out in red

from muted clothes,

my water bottle covered

in stickers from punk labels,

podcasts, and record stores.

 

At times when I must

be more subtle,

I make sure

that my spiked earring is visible.

Or I affix buttons from bands

to the lapel of a plain black jacket.

 

I brand myself

as best I can when I go out.

I wear the shirt that proclaims

I am a flame-throwing feminist,

or one that reminds us to,

“Know Your Roots”

as skins and punks.

 

I shield myself in black hoodies,

but put on my “stompy boots”

to make myself seem harder

then I know I feel.

 

But at the end of the day,

we must remember

what Tony Sly told us about being punk:

“Do whatever you want to do.

Without any reservations.”

But that’s another discussion.


No comments:

Post a Comment