Thursday, September 8, 2011

Early Morning Run

I wrote this a few nights ago, and I am now going to use it as the Prologue to my new story.


Rrrrr…Rrrrr. Nothing like waking up to a seemingly violent cellphone vibrating.
            Twenty-Twenty-Twenty-Four Hours To Go-o-o!  I Wanna Be Sedated!
            “Unhh.”  Slap!  “Uhhh.”
            I push myself up into a sitting position on the bed and stop my alarm.  I look at the time:  5:00AM.
            Going though the motions of everyday life, I get dressed, put my contacts in, and push my hair into a half-hearted ponytail before going downstairs.
            Glug, glug, then I add a scoop of protein powder to the bottle.  Shake, shake, shake.
            Sigh.
            Chug, chug.  I still haven’t decided if I like this stuff.

            The sky is still pitch black when I pull into the gym parking lot.
           

Beep!  My card gets scanned.
            “Yeah, it’s an early day for me,” I mumble to the girl at the front desk.
           
            I’m still on autopilot as I begin a quick warm-up on the treadmill.
           
Bam, bam, bam, running shoes on the treadmill.  The only thing I can hear is Daft Punk’s electronic sounds penetrating my eardrums, and them my brain.
            I look down at the treadmill’s display, half a mile already run.  I shake my head from side-to-side, jiggling my brain away.  I look around to see if anyone else witnessed my act of weakness. No one did.  I hit the pause button, and switch to something more fitting to an early morning run on my iPod:  NOFX.  Nothing like a little hardcore punk to get yourself in rhythm at 5:47 in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment