Thursday, December 27, 2012

Jazz Club

For dVerse Poets prompt tonight!! Hope I did it right :-/ !! Was discussing jazz with a friend last night, then came the news that Fontella Bass (Jazz singer from St. Louis) passed. So this poem seems appropriate. I first wrote a poem in this style back in college, about drugs & being high all the time. I think my professor was more concerned for me that I realized at the time. He encouraged me to write a poem in this style, but NOT about drugs. He was a jazz lover, I think (hope) he would have liked this poem.

 
Jazz Club

I.
bold and brassy
the trumpeter’s tune
is blown into the night
mixing with
shimmering cymbals
wood clashing
                         onto metal
flirting with saucy saxophones
            sensually flowing
l o n g and piercing
through the air
and accompanying bass
repeatedly pumping
                                 out         the       rhythm
complimenting cool
quick
beats of the drum
hit the backbeat
                          and go
                                     Go
                                          GO

II
I sit back
in the crooked
wooden chair
watching my brother bop
                                         his head
lost
in the music

I am buzzed
too many beers
blue smoke
t
 w
i
  s
 t
   s
around my fingers
as I pump my
                      cigarette
                           in
                      time
                                to
                           the
                                     bass

22 comments:

  1. ah, sorry for the loss as well...that second part, i was right there...have been there...and so it brought back memories...listening to tunes, a bit too buzzed...ha...love your description of the music in the first...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Thank you!! I love jazz clubs almost as much as I love mosh pits!!

      Delete
  2. I love how this snakes and smokes on the page, a great reflection of the subject matter. I'm glad you found a less concerning subject :). Very nice to meet you and thank you for joining us today at dVerse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm a way better writer now that I'm not 'messed up' all of the time!! Thanks for the prompt!! :-)

      Delete
  3. very cool.
    i love the style you used here - i am not into Jazz usually, but the way you bring it to paper, i could be persuaded otherwise.
    great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like any kind of music that sounds cool to me!! :-) Check out some Charlie Parker the next time you think about jazz!!

      Delete
  4. Love it! The form went superbly with the musical rhythm and alliterations to accompany the instruments. And being an ex-smoker, I was tapping my cigarette to the beat with you. Your former professor would be proud indeed! Nicely done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Ex-smoker too now!! This is a scene from a few years back!! :-)

      Delete
  5. Yeah, this sums up the jazz club experience for me, enjoyed the form, Well Done !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. loved the crooked chair and how the post seems to dance

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I can say is I really like it... thoroughly enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very creative format of writing ~ I can see the words pumping and twisting along with your words ~ Good one ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love jazz and play the saxophone myself...so you don't have to ask if i enjoyed the poem...smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I'm glad you enjoyed it!! I Love the saxophone, such an awesome sounding instrument!! :-)

      Delete
  10. I think he would approve ~ marvellous shape to your poem.

    ReplyDelete