Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Vulture Raid S/T EP - Review

This is a review I wrote of a new band's debut EP.


Vulture Raid – S/T EP

 

Vulture Raid’s debut EP opens with a soulful piano solo before launching into a banging punk rock tune, complete with an Anti-Flag-esque lead guitar. When Oscar Capps IV comes in on vocals he sounds harder, rougher, and older than he did on his former band’s album, roughly 2.5 years prior. He sounds like someone who has gone through some stuff, which he has. He has you singing along with the chorus by the second time around.

 

The rest of this album stays hard, fast, honest, and raw. It comes off as a very personal collection of songs, yet it speaks to some universal truths. The lines, “I am not your enemy/ You made me your enemy/ I don’t have time for enemies” are some of my favorites.

In just five years Oscar IV has gone from recording his first EP, containing a song titled “No Decaf,” to songs about taking life on headfirst. Only time will tell where Vulture Raid goes from here, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s far and wide.

-----

No comments:

Post a Comment