Monday, November 11, 2013

A Poem a Day for November - Day 11: People Watching


People Watching

I’m sitting at my favorite table
watching steam rise from my coffee,
regular coffee with just honey and Half & Half.
Bryan McPherson sings about life through my headphones.

I watch a musician tune his guitar
on the small coffee shop ‘stage,’
he seems lost to the world.
My eyes move to a young couple:
the girl playing on her laptop
while the boy across from her,
headphones in, hasn’t looked up from his phone.
A few tables away an older man
is splitting his concentration between his iPad & sandwich.
Behind the counter, my favorite barista
wipes down his work station between customers.

The musician speaks into the microphone,
“Test one, two... Hi, everyone.”

I pause my iPod, take out my headphones.
The young woman closes her computer,
taps her companion on the arm.
He pulls his earbuds out and turns to the stage.
The older man moves to the other side of his table
giving a skeptical eye to the young musician.
My barista sets down his rag and leans on the counter.

I smile, take a sip of coffee,
as the musician strums his first chord.



-------

20 comments:

  1. wonderful observation Katie i felt it as though i was there, a brilliant slice of life , all the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worrying observations, but with a happy ending! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is excellent.. like Chris said.. love that the musician got his attention from the gadgets.. leave me hopeful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to have been there. I enjoy musical performances & especially liked the way you set the stage & showed us the audience as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yep, small coffee shops are great places to hear music. :-)

      Delete
  5. The young couple - what an image of contemporary togetherness ... smiles. This self-same scene happens countless times every day of the week; you've captured it really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yep, they were an interesting, but all too common now, pair. :-)

      Delete
  6. A very intriguing moment in time in a micro-cosmic world. >KB

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm i love going to a coffeeshop to take in live music....i would def be closing down what i had if nothing else just to take it in and let the music do its work on me....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I could have stayed there all afternoon, but I had to get back to the office. :-)

      Delete
  8. A lovely slice of life :) everywhere I go I see people on their technology instead of interacting with one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yep, the world's definitively changing. :-)

      Delete
  9. When there is live music..I pause to listen..no interruptions so I can simply feel the music..

    ReplyDelete
  10. From the very first line, you captured my attention....one of those lovely, memorable, cosy days, watching, most likely being watched...and enjoying every coffeed, musical moment. Great capture! ~jackie~

    ReplyDelete