Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Poem a Day for November - Day 17: Untitled

This one probably reads better as song lyrics than as a poem. I'm just bad at putting my words to music, so have at it if you feel inspired. :-) Untitled, because I'm kinda bad at titling my stuff. But first time all month it's happened, so yay for that! Let me know what you think. Thanks!


Untitled


It’s hard to watch friends
make the same mistakes I have,
know that the best thing it to let them be and hope
that they will come back.

I see so much good in you.
Passion, love, quiet understanding
of the world, a gentle darkness
making you not bitter but able
to accept life as it is and work
to make it what you want it to be.

Your friends, though separated
by geography, act as your family.
Pushing them away now,
opting for people who stroke your need
to drink to forget,
to party to numb the pain.
Not knowing, like I do,
that they will abandon you when
need music to forget,
and some to listen to you to numb the pain.
You bask in the attention
of a cute drugged up girl
and ignore the quiet attention
of a friend who just needs  to know
that you will be okay.

So I’ll sit here and wait
for you to need your friends
who understand more than you think
and can help you find you again.

-----

1 comment:

  1. Wow powerful piece. Makes you take heed. Who are the real friends and who are just the dregs of the pack? Makes me think. Good piece. I hope your friends come to.

    ReplyDelete